Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Not a Chance

I had the day off today, my last before we leave on our holiday - so I had lots to do. I did hope to get on my bike for a bit - even considered riding up to Starbucks for my coffee - but time was going to be tight, so I passed.

I rented an electric hedge trimmer, the kind that's almost as long as I am tall, and did my home version of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I lopped a couple of feet off each of the shrubs in my yard. I also used the machine to cut the perennial border down to about six inches in height. Then I raked up all the debris and hauled it out behind the house to the brush pile. I hope that when the monsoons hit this year, the yard won't look as ghastly as it did last year. We do tend to go away just when I should be cleaning up the garden.

Then I washed the sheets, towels and carpets from the motorhome, vacuumed the floor and furniture in there, and vacuumed the house.

When I returned the hedge trimmer, I considered driving on up for a second cup of coffee, but I couldn't bear the thought of steering all that way. I came home and made tea instead, and took some well-earned R&R. I had to use two hands to hold the teacup.

R has gone out for a short bike ride. I considered joining him, but in the end I decided I would probably fall off the bike. ;>) Tomorrow I work from 7 am to 3:30 pm, which leaves me plenty of time for an after-work ride.

No comments: