Friday, August 19, 2005

What a difference on the hills!

Yesterday morning got away from me a bit, and I missed the water pilates class, but at about 8AM I clambered aboard Honey and rode out to where my taxi lives (12.6 km away). It took me one hour and ten minutes (Lance Armstrong I'm not.) via Bowen Road. On the way, I pulled in at Starbucks and stopped the clock while I enjoyed my morning coffee and a breather. I was a little disappointed that the trip still took 1 hr. 10 minutes, even on my new bike, but I assured myself that the trip home would be faster, as it had more downhill runs.

When I reached my destination, I dropped off the envelope I had carried with me, got back on the bike, and rode home (as planned) via Jinglepot Road, which may or may not be slightly longer, but which has it all over Bowen Road wrt scenery. There are horse ranches, small farms of various sorts, and something called "Shady Mile" a pleasant forested area to which, every November 1, people from all over town bring their jack-o-lanterns and set them on fenceposts and along the roadside to entertain passersby for the next week or so.

I only dismounted for one hill. That was on Jinglepot, on the way home. I started up the hill, tried to downshift, and accidentally upshifted instead. Brought to a sudden halt, I got off in disgust and walked up the hill. As it turned out, it was a terrible climb, so I would probably have had to get off anyway, but that clinched it. The learning curve strikes again.

The time for the trip home? One hour, ten minutes. Sigh.

I arrived home in time to shower, dress, and head downtown (by car) to meet my online acquaintance and her parents for lunch. It was fun to play tour guide for a little while.

In the evening, R suggested we go for a swim at the Aquatic Centre, but wondered whether I was up to it, given that I was walking funny. Hmm. Fightin' words. I went. It was a silly thing to do, of course. The wave pool was making little waves, which I found very annoying, because all I had the energy to do was float on my back, and the waves kept trying to drown me. In the end, I decided to do some stretches in the water. I also went into the hot tub twice.

Much to my surprise, I feel okay today. I rode my bike downtown to ask Grumpy what maintenance I need to do on the bike (He loved that!), stopped in at the market for a couple of things, and rode home. If R wants to go out on the bikes tonight, I'll probably be up for it. Amazing.


No comments: