Saturday, June 10, 2006

Lest I forget

I just came back from the gym, and I'm hurrying to get ready for work - but I want to make note of this morning's stats: 55 minutes, 3.25 miles. I did a couple of minutes' warmup on a different treadmill, didn't like it, and switched back to the one I used yesterday. How can they have such distinct personalities, these machines? Anyway, I set the speed at 3.5, which is 17.08 minutes/mile, and the incline at .1, and just walked. I took a much-needed bathroom break at 2.5 miles, and I'm not sure whether the clock kept ticking while I was away, so I'm calling this "just over 3 miles" - still up from yesterday by over a mile, and at a minute less per mile. I'm really enjoying this, so far. The first mile or so is drudgery, but then I seem to get into the spirit of it, and it stays good for the rest of this - admittedly still short - walk. I may reconsider when I get to the five mile walks.

My late mother's birthday is July 11, and that's the date I've set as Decision Day. I should know by then whether I will be able to do the half marathon. I'll try to add at least a mile to my walks each week, which should put me at 8 miles or better - still nowhere near the 13 needed for the half, but I should have a good idea of my capabilities by then.

Off I go to work now.

1 comment:

Javarunner1962 said...

Looks like you did well on the treadmill. I have found differences in machines at my gym too. Odd I know. Keep up the good work!!!

:-)Charlie