Friday, June 09, 2006

Emulating the tortoise, not the hare

I woke up to the sound of rain this morning. It wasn't the kind of morning that inspires one to walk to the gym, so I changed plans. I drove to the gym, got on the treadmill, and did two 18-minute miles. I was tempted to speed up, but (having a lot of time to think while I walked) I thought it best to start gently. My heart rate was just right - in the aerobic range - at 18 minutes. Tomorrow I'll walk a little farther at the same speed. First, endurance - then speed. I can walk pretty fast, but 8 kms is a long way - and 21 kms - my not-so-secret true goal - is even farther! I want to find a speed that I can maintain for the distance.

After the treadmill, I worked on shoulders, legs and abs until I had to leave for work.

During the day, I stopped by my friend Joyce's house to ask whether she might join me in the race, and in training for it. She would love to, but is waiting for knee surgery. If she has recovered in time, she will get on board. I hope she does. Get well soon, Joyce.

No comments: