Friday, June 23, 2006

8k and beyond

Yesterday I did the planned 4.11 mile (6.61k, 10,040 steps) walk, and arrived home still feeling strong. I thought I could have walked farther.

This morning I decided to try for 8k. I had an unexpected errand to run, so I modified my walk to allow for a stop at the office with paperwork. I was wearing my pedometer, and figured I'd have to do about 12,000 steps to make the 8k. By the time I had taken a walk that included the errand, several stretch stops and one bathroom stop, I had taken 12,454 steps. I entered the route online and it worked out to 5.66 miles/9.11 kms. Cool.

I've listened to the experts. I'm no longer trying to lengthen my tiny stride, so the shin pain is gone, though I'm developing a blister on my right little toe. Also, Charlie told me that the only person I'm competing with is myself, and I've decided that at least for now, my race isn't about speed; it's about endurance. Today's walk took just under two hours. Without the business stop, I think I could have done at least 10k in the same amount of time, even with the rest stops.

I have another day off tomorrow, and I hate to waste the opportunity for a walk, so I'll probably put my rest day off to Sunday, when I have to work at 6 am anyway.

1 comment:

Javarunner1962 said...

Here is what gets me through the runs/races - It's not about the time, it's about getting to the destination. It doesn't matter if you are fast, if you don't finish the race.

:-)Charlie